Army Emergency Relief (AER) is a private, non-profit organization established to assist Soldiers and their Family members in emergency financial situations due to no fault of their own. Financial assistance is given in the form of an interest-free loan, grant, or combination of the two. Loans are repaid by an allotment.

To apply for AER assistance, the Soldier should be seen by the Unit Commander/1SG for interview/counseling to determine if the situation can be resolved through the chain-of-command or some other source. After determining that the Soldier has a valid emergency, the unit commander would then authorize the individual to seek AER assistance.


• Non-receipt of pay or loss of funds-amount limited to that required to prevent privation.

• Travel expenses due to emergency situations.

• Funeral expenses when it is established that the Soldier is required to pay, or share in payment of funeral expenses for dependants or parents, where there is no insurance.

• Payment of medical, dental and hospital expenses when they cannot be deferred through usual repayment period after TriCare.

• Payment of initial rent or to prevent eviction.

• Purchase of food to prevent privation.

• Payment of required utility deposits or payment of bills to prevent termination of utilities.

• To cover cost of operation or repair of POV, when the vehicle is considered essential.

To insure the Soldier's/Family member's AER request for assistance is processed in a timely manner, Commanders/First Sergeants may call AER at 270.798.5518.

Education Programs

AER’s Education Program is a secondary mission to help Army Families with the costs of education. The three separate scholarship programs are:

Stateside Spouse Education Assistance Program
• Applicant must be the Spouse or widow(er) of an active duty or retired Soldier and reside in the United States.
• Stateside applicants must be full time students.
• First undergraduate degrees only.
• Active duty military personnel are not eligible.

Overseas Spouse Education Assistance Program Major General James Ursano Scholarship Fund for Dependent Children.

Overseas Spouse Education Assistance Program
• Applicants must be a Spouse of an active duty Soldier assigned in Europe, Korea, Japan, or Okinawa.
• Applicants must physically reside with the Soldier at the assigned location.
• First undergraduate degrees only.
• Off post students are not eligible.
• Spouses may be part time or full time students.

Major General James Ursano Scholarship Fund for Dependant Children
• Dependent children, stepchildren, or legally adopted children of Army Soldiers on active duty, retired or deceased while in active duty or retired status.

The children of Grey Area Reservists/National Guard are eligible as well.

Scholarship awards will be awarded up to half the cost of tuition. Scholarship awards are based on financial need, as evidenced by income, assets, Family size, and special circumstances.

Applications and instructions are available for all the scholarships on the AER website at www.aerhq.org

Resources & Forms

AER Checklist- use to determine the documentation needed to apply for assistance.

Commanders Referral Tri-fold- refers to instructions for requests for assistance through the streamlined Commanders Referral Program.

AER Budget Sheet

AER Form 600 Commanders Referral

AER Form 700 Application